Wednesday 15 January 2020

Revisiting childhood favourites - books i'm reading in 2020.

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
I don't usually set out at the start of the year with an idea of which fictional books i'd like to read and compiling a list.  This applies more to non-fiction books I plan to read for the year ahead, which is usually driven by a subject i'm interested in or busy studying.

For the past two years or so i've found myself thinking back to books from my childhood or classic children's stories that somehow passed me by or which I don't recall much about.




Early in January I found myself at the end of a trilogy of library books i'd been reading over the festive season.  I was about to head off to the library to restock the empty space for novels next to my bed when my eye caught The Wind in the Willows on the living room bookshelf.  I pulled it out and started leafing through it looking at the gorgeous illustrations,  then found myself sitting down and becoming completely sidetracked from going out. It dawned on me that what I really wanted to do was to read it and also many of the other children's books and fairy tales I still have tucked away on bookshelves and boxes in the loft.  It went straight upstairs next to the bed.

This year i'm going to go with the flow and my bedtime reading is going to be filled with all sorts of childhood adventures, knights and dragons, pirates and whales, spies and creepy caves,  tales of magic and mystery - new and old.

I can't wait to get stuck in to the Famous Five again.  The difference this time round though is instead of imaging the locations all the way from my bedroom in South Africa, I actually know what they are like because I now live in the UK.

Who knows....... maybe in the summer i'll take myself off on a camping trip complete with cheese sandwiches, a flask and the book for the appropriate location........

What are your favourites?  Which do you recommend?


Edited to add  ...

Goddess Dream Oracle by Wendy Andrew
A day after writing this post my new deck the Goddess Dream Oracle arrived. I shuffled and drew a card, titled Self-exploration - Fairy Tales and Myths.

What a wonderful synchronicity.




Tag:  #readingin2020

No comments:

Post a Comment