Saturday 3 August 2019

Connecting with my Ancestors

The Ancestral Oracle of the Celts
Photo by © Karen Wiederhold




The words at the start of Chapter 3 of The Ancestral Oracle of the Celts are exactly why I am so delighted to be working with this deck. It captures perfectly the journey I am taking to connect more deeply with my ancestors.

The past three years, but more so the past twelve months, the pull to really connect from within has been strong. My roots are predominantly Scottish but I also have strong and far reaching roots in Sweden, Finland and Ireland. Although I'm a child of Africa the quiet whispers that stir come from those mysterious Northern lands. It can feel confusing and sometimes lonely being from one land, living in another yet connected elsewhere. I have a "knowing" that settles in me when I close my eyes and allow myself to fly. 

In the last few months I have been experimenting in connecting with my ancestors through the meditative working of yarn and the traditional methods of weaving of my Saami ancestors (see my completed woven bookmark). The personal revelations and experiences in this process have been quite profound. I wanted a way to do so with my Celtic ancestry. No surprise that the first card I drew, which is also the one that stood out when looking at the images, is The Weaver. It made me smile. 

Thank you Caitlín, I am enjoying it very much. Thank you also to Wil Kinghan.

The deck and book is housed in a lovely, sturdy box with pull out section.  The box is the perfect size which allows for easy storage because it doesn't take up too much space yet isn't so compact that the book is compromised.  Its good sturdy quality ensures the safe keeping of the contents.







Deck: The Ancestral Oracle of the Celts
Author: Caitlín Matthews 
Artist: Wil Kinghan
Publisher: Watkins Books UK 

No comments:

Post a Comment