Sunday 22 April 2018

First Impressions: The Wicca Moon Tarot

The Wicca Moon Tarot by Shirlee


I can't recall exactly where it was that I first saw images or mention of the Wicca Moon Tarot but I do know it was a few weeks ago and since then it's been on my mind.  I'd love to say that the image on the back of the cards was the sole reason for the deck catching my attention, as much as it looks like my beloved cat, but no it wasn't that although it does endear the deck to me quite a bit more.

First of all let me say that the speed of delivery was outstanding.  I ordered the deck on Saturday and it arrived today, Monday.  On opening the box I was impressed by the protective packaging but was even more impressed and delighted by the way the deck and book were wrapped in gift wrap and accompanied with a pack of incense.


















Opening the softly scented gift wrap, the book and the deck tucked into a beautiful bag were revealed.  What a delightful experience to have on a chilly grey Monday morning.  It really felt like i'd received a gift.















So what are my first impressions?

The deck is contained in a tuck box with the image from the back of the cards on the front side with the deck title and address and website for Wicca Moon on the back.  The book is separate from the deck.


The Wicca Moon Tarot by Shirlee
The guidebook is A5 in size and is soft covered,  containing 118 pages in black and white with an image for each card in full page size.  The book by Shirlee is basic in terms of the meaning for each card, the character who inspired the card image and the relating Ogham, Rune and Planetary and Astrological Symbols.  I had hoped for more information and explanation about the Oghams and Runes for each card so am a little disappointed with that, but its a minor disappointment and doesn't change the way I feel about the deck at all.



The cards measure 14.5cm x 9.7cm and are printed on a thick matte cardstock making them a pleasure to handle.  Although they are larger that regular tarot decks (more like an oracle deck in size) they can still be shuffled easily by turning them on the shorter side.   I have small hands and manage quite easily this way.  The corners of the cards are square and after a bit of use have begun to wear a little so i've trimmed them with a corner rounder to avoid further damage and the result is pleasing.  The beautifully painted images are by Sandra Hollisbee on inspiration from the creator Shirlee.


The Wicca Moon Tarot by Shirlee
The Wicca Moon Tarot is a pip deck however the lovely thing about the cards is that there isn't a generic background to them all - they are illustrated to reflect the atmosphere or surroundings of the element of their suit. The pips are active - although there are no people represented, the placement of the swords, cups and wands convey the meaning of each card hinting at the RWS system - the pentacles less so though.






The Wicca Moon Tarot by Shirlee
The major arcana cards are rich in symbolism and the more you look the more detail you see.  This inspires me to want to learn more about what is found tucked away within the images.  The Sun card has got to be my most favourite Sun card in any deck so far.









The Wicca Moon Tarot by Shirlee
An interesting aspect of the deck are the court cards with the King and Queen of each suit portrayed together instead of the usual individual cards for each.  I really like this approach, especially since the court card couples are couples in real life.















I've not used the deck in a reading just yet so can't comment further from that point of view. However I can say at this stage of our relationship that it's a charming deck and is already providing lots of pleasure through the illustrations.  I've found myself returning consistently to this deck before bedtime to draw a card for the coming day - so this says a lot.



Wicca Moon Tarot by Shirlee
http://wiccamoon.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment