Saturday 3 January 2015

So how did I get here?

For a very long time I have been fascinated with the Tarot.   In fact it all started from a very early age where holding playing cards, handling them, the feel of the weight and texture, the act of shuffling, laying them out, playing a game or inventing my own was something I loved and which held me enthralled.  Once I set my eyes on the first Tarot layout i'd ever seen, which was probably in front of Jane Seymour in that 007 movie, I was hooked. 
My first deck was The Celtic Tarot.  Bought in a bookshop in my local mall with a huge amount of excitement and the sense that finally I was taking that step into something magical and slightly forbidden in a delicious way.  I got home, unwrapped it and sat down waiting for the magic to unfold, sadly I felt deflated and unenthused.  Nothing spoke to me and the minor arcana were not cards showing activities, just the number of wands, pentacles, cups and swords.  I had bought this deck mainly because it was one of three in the shop and having Celtic heritage it seemed sensible, (you do have to smile at this). So here I was, uninspired and disappointed, sitting cross legged on my bed wondering what now.  I soldiered on with reading the book, a good sized book not a mini booklet, which was full of information but I could not get things to stick in my mind or make sense to me when I looked at the cards.  I tried a few layouts reading each description from the book and becoming confused, so immediately doing another layout and becoming even more confused - you get the picture and am sure some of you have been in exactly the same place.
Many different decks later, some were Oracles but mostly Tarots, we arrive to today, twenty years later with me finally having a deck I can really work and continue to learn with and a collection of others that I thoroughly enjoy.  (More on finding your beginner's deck later).  Incidentally it was while writing a few things that I want to investigate, read and write about in my workbook that while listing decks i've owned, I realised that my first purchase was actually in 1995.  How thrilling to see it is exactly 20 years which seems a good omen given all things feeling like they are coming together for me to put dreams into reality. 
So stepping off into the unknown with excitement,  I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures as they unfold or even start your own adventure.  There will be posts sharing things you may find helpful along the way.  I just know its going to be a whole lot of learning and growth for me this year and who knows what shape this blog will take in the process, but that's all the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment